This is our review of the best harness for large dogs in 2022.
Harnesses are essential for large breeds that sometimes can be difficult to control when walking, especially for ones that pull, as they could damage their neck with a regular collar.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing large dog harnesses:
- rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness – (Best dog harness for big dogs overall)
- Eagloo No Pull Dog Harness – (Best Budget harness for large dogs)
- Julius-K9, 16IDC-P-3, IDC Powerharness – (Best back clip harness for large dogs)
- RUFFWEAR Front Range Dog Harness – (Top rated harness for big active dogs)
- Halti No Pull Dog Harness – (Best no pull harness for large Breeds)
- Kurgo Dog Harness – (Best car harness for large dogs)
- EXPAWLORER Big Dog Soft Reflective – ( Top choice for large dog harness with handle)
Our Best Harnesses for Large Dogs
Ensuring that your large dog has the best possible life means ensuring that they have the right food, environment, toys, and walking equipment. The best dog harnesses for large dogs should be adjustable, comfortable, strong, visible, and long-lasting.
Which harness is best for big dogs? In this list, you will find some of the best harness reviews for big pups, for all kinds of budgets, comfort levels, and you and your dog’s own specific needs.
The first harness on this list is the Rabbitgoo no-pull harness for large dogs.
Considered one of the best large dog harnesses, this is the perfect budget choice – you’re not skimping on quality, either. It has four well-made straps and is made from premium soft mesh nylon fabric.
This dog chest harness puts no pressure on your dog’s neck and comes with two rings where the leash attaches, a strong handle on the back, reflective stitching, and a padded chest plate, as well as a padded back.
These large dog harnesses have buckles that have a non-slip lock system, ensuring your dog’s safety, and are very easy to undo when you need to.
The XL size here fits pups with a neck circumference of 22-35 inches and a chest girth of 20-38 inches, perfect for breeds like German Shepherds, Rotties and Akitas.
- Extremely durable material
- Designed to avoid choking
- A great walking harness for big dogs like German Shepherds
- Some reviews have mentioned size issues
The Eagloo No Pull Dog Harness is a great product for dog owners who are looking for better control while out on walks. The zinc alloy D-rings provide 2 leash attachment points and the reflective stitching helps to keep your dog visible at night.
The handle is also a great feature, as it can be used to help your dog in and out of vehicles or to attach to a car seat belt. The fully adjustable design ensures a comfortable, custom fit, and the 8 different colours means there’s sure to be one that suits your dog’s personality.
The Extra large size is perfect for big breeds like Rottweilers, Newfoundlands and Labs. Overall, the Eagloo No Pull Dog Harness is one of the best value options for bigger pets around right now
The Julius K9 dog harness is a top-notch product that is both well-built and comfortable for your dog.
The one-click fit design makes it easy to put on and take off, while the sturdy construction means it will last a long time. The reflective elements are great for safety, and the soft inner lining ensures your dog’s comfort.
Additionally, the interchangeable hook and loop patches allow you to display your dog’s personality. This size can accommodate dogs from 88 to 154 pounds, making it ideal for even giant breeds like Newfies and Mastiffs.
It doesn’t include a front leash attachment (additional chest strap can be purchased separately) but all in all, the Julius K9 dog harness is an excellent choice for any dog owner.
- Robust construction
- Bestselling brand
- Easy to use
- Not machine washable
The front range harness from Ruffwear is a popular choice with large dog owners and this no-pull dog harness comes in a wide range of colours and sizes.
Your dog’s chest will be covered with padded, breathable fabric, upon which you will find one of two strong leash clips.
The back of the harness also has a strong handle and a second leash attachment.
Like all the no-pull options it protects the neck area from damage and can also be used with a double ended leash for training.
All of the straps are fully adjustable and reflective strips keep your pooch safe during nighttime exursions. The buckles are strong and secure and easy to undo when needed.
Designed for active dogs, this robust option is one of the best harnesses for large dogs, and this size will fit a dogs chest circumference of 32-42 inches.
- Great for long walks, hiking and runs
- Comfortable padding is perfect for short-haired dogs
- Buckles can take a lot of weight
- Not all dogs like overhead harnesses
This no-pull harness for dog walking is one of the cheapest harnesses on this list, but that does not mean that it is of poorer quality; it’s actually commonly used by dog trainers when training dogs to walk on a loose leash.
The harness comes with one front clip and one back leash attachment. The chest straps are padded for extra comfort, as is the front chest area.
The straps on this harness for giant breed dogs are adjustable for optimal comfort and security; however, the back strap is not padded and does not have a handle.
This is the top pulling harness for sheer comfort; it is excellent for flat-faced dogs as there is no pressure on the neck, which can cause respiratory problems – and it even comes with a matching leash.
- Very light manufacture, great for moving around
- Ideal for training comes with a double-ended leash
- Works well with the same brand head collar
- It goes on over the head
This Kurgo Tru Fit harness is a little more expensive than the other harnesses on this list. That being said, you do get what you pay for.
This harness comes in multiple colours and is made of strong, reflective, breathable, padded fabric. It comes with two aluminium leash clips making it perfect for large dogs that pull and a strong back handle, that can also be used attached to a car seat belt.
All of the straps are adjustable and padded for optimum comfort during your dog’s movements. The harness is easy to put on with only the back straps to deal with. It’s very easy to wash, too!
The Extra Large fits dogs with a chest circumference of 28-44 inches making it ideal for bigger breeds like Malamutes and Labradors
- L and XL are available
- Machine washable
- Carabiner included
- Some owners have trouble with sizing smaller dogs
This Expawlorer big dog harness is ideal for breeds such as German Shepherds specifically. It is easy to put on as it only has one front chest strap and one under chest strap.
The straps are thick and tied on with one strong parachute buckle at the side, and there is extra heavy padding to help make things comfier.
The back is lined with one thick reflective strip, behind which you will find a strong rubber handle and a welded D-ring.
This back clip harness is made of soft and strong nylon material, making it quick to dry, durable, and breathable fabric. This harness only comes in one colour, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the top dog harnesses around and one I would use for my own dogs.
- Nice and simple to use
- Great for overall walking safety
- Fabulous for controlling big dogs
- Some users struggle with the fabric quality
What to Look For in Good Harnesses for Large Breeds
Got active dogs who are on the larger side? Here’s what you should be keeping an eye out for in genuinely reliable dog walking harnesses.
- Durability: Any big dog owner knows that there is usually a lot of strength behind all of that height! And, as all dogs do, even big dogs love playing, rolling around, jumping, and generally causing chaos. The first thing that you should therefore consider is the durability of the harness.
- Quality: As is the case with any products relating to our animals, quality is always a priority. You should always take a look into the quality of the harness based on each aspect. That means the quality of all of the different materials, the stitching, etc.
- Adjustability: Even dogs of the same breed are not always of the exact measurements. In order to ensure a perfect fit around your four-legged friend, it would be wise to purchase a harness with adjustable straps. You will be able to change the fit to suit your dog perfectly and thus ensure their comfort and security.
- Price: Thankfully, now more than ever, top-quality animal products are available for all price ranges. Of course, for the best quality harnesses, the chances are that you will have to make an investment to ensure comfort, security, and longevity.
- Reflective material: No matter the dog’s size, having reflective material on the harness adds security for both you and your four-legged friend. That being said, it is indeed vital for big dogs, especially as their size could be difficult to detect in darker hours.
- Strength: Due to the superior power in big dogs with their weight, height, and muscles, it is easy to break things around them and on them. That is why it is essential to have a strong harness that can keep up with them and all of their activities.
- Handles: Handles have become more and more popular, especially on harnesses for bigger dogs. Strong handles ensure that you get a better grip on your pet should you need it. That could be necessary both to hold your dog back and lift them in certain situations.
- Two leash clips: Front leash clips have proven very useful when training dogs not to pull. For bigger dogs with a lot of strength, having an extra leash clip at the front could help any owner have better control over the dog and make training them a lot easier.
- Comfort: In order to make your walks together that much easier and agreeable, it is essential for your dog to be comfortable. The harness should be of a soft material, padded where needed, with thick straps that do not rub into your dog’s skin. Adjustable straps will be necessary as they go across the shoulders and chest areas of your pet.
- Security: No matter how well-behaved your large dog is, having a secure harness is essential for the security of those around you, your dog, and you yourself. Consider using a dog harness with locks on the attachments to ensure that they will not open if pulled too hard or broken during activity.
Collars Vs Harnesses
Unsure whether or not a collar, dog walking harness or even a head collar is right to support your dog’s movement? Here are some points to consider from our experience:
- Use a dog harness for better security: Collars will only provide a minimal amount of control over your dog. A dog harness will help you stop them from pulling, keep them close, and have even better control in any situation by using a handle attached to a short or long leash. Sadly, a dog collar can easily be slipped, and your dog can easily dance around it if they are excited or upset.
- A collar will be more physically damaging to your pet than a dog harness: If a dog does get excited or upset, they usually jump around or jerk around the dog leashes. Even simply walking them and pulling them back from the collar can cause severe damage to their neck and spine. This can easily be avoided by using a dog harness.
- A dog harness will be more expensive to buy than a dog collar: Of course, for those of us on a budget, purchasing a harness may seem like an unnecessary expense. Dog collars are indeed quite a bit cheaper than dog harnesses; however, as you have seen in this article, there are now plenty of affordable dog harnesses available.
- An ill-fitted dog harness could cause some physical discomfort to your dog: Yes, dog collars can easily damage a dog’s neck by pressing down on the windpipe and spine. However, an ill-fitted dog harness can cause them discomfort as well. The straps can rub into their skin, causing loss of fur, redness, and even bleeding. Tight pads and straps can also make it difficult for them to breathe and will be very uncomfortable for them to use.
The best dog harness for large dogs is always likely to support your dog better than a traditional collar – head collar fittings do work for some dogs but offer less control.
Types of Harnesses for Large Dogs
Front Clip Harness
A front clip harness is one of the most effective ways to train your dog not to pull on walks. The front clip attaches to the leash on the chest area, which helps redirect your dog’s attention back to you while walking and makes it harder for them to pull away.
This style of harness is especially useful for rescue dogs who may not have had proper leash training in the past. It can also be used with a double ended leash for more control over powerful dogs.
Not only does a front clip harness help reduce pulling, but it also reduces discomfort if your dog does pull and prevents the risk of damage to the neck area.
So, if you’re looking for a safe and effective way to train your dog on walks, a front clip harness is an excellent option
Back Clip Harnesses
A back clip harness is the most common type of basic harness, and it’s usually the step-in kind, so many dogs find them agreeable to put on.
The lead attaches at the back of the harness, which helps to keep it from dangling around the front legs like some front clip harnesses.
Back clip harnesses are great for calm dogs that don’t pull. However, they can create a sled pulling effect and make your dog pull even more if it’s already an issue. That being said they do prevent throat and neck injuries caused through pulling.
That’s why we recommend no pull harnesses for dogs that are strong pullers. But for most dogs, a back clip harness is fine. And because they are the most popular design they come in lots of designs and colours.
Leather Dog Harnesses
When it comes to the best dog harnesses on the market, leather is always a top choice.
Natural leather is more comfortable for your dog since it won’t cause any irritation, and it’s also more environmentally friendly.
Leather is also an exceptionally strong and lightweight material, so it’s perfect for dogs who like to pull on their leash. Plus, it’s long-lasting and becomes more supple over time.
If you have a large dog with long fur, be sure to choose a rolled leather harness to prevent matting.
Keep in mind that leather harnesses are usually more expensive than other types, but they’re definitely worth the investment.
Tactical Harness Options
Dog owners looking for a high-quality, durable dog harness should consider a tactical dog harness. Tactical dog harnesses are made from strong, military-grade materials and feature metal buckles for a secure fit.
They also usually come with big patch panels and identification signage windows, so your dog can show off their personality or if they are working.
Plus, they boast loops and hooks to carry extra gear such as water bottles or a torch and have reflective strips that keep you and your pet safe during night walks.
So if you’re looking for a rugged, escape-proof dog harness, consider a tactical dog harness.
A Car Harness
As a dog owner, you want to make sure your pup is safe and comfortable while riding in the car.
Small breeds can often fit into a booster seat on car rides, but for larger dogs, harnesses are the best option.
Car dog harnesses help to distribute the force of an accident evenly across your dog’s body, preventing injuries. They also keep your dog from becoming a distraction while you’re driving. A pet safety harness can also be used as regular walking harnesses.
So, if you have a large dog breed, investing in a car dog harness is a smart way to keep your furry friend safe and comfortable on all your adventures.
A tightening harness like the Halti one on our list is a great way to keep your dog under control. One of the main benefits of a harness is that it can be used as a pulling deterrent exerting slight pressure when Fido lunges ahead.
They are simple to put on as they are the step in kind and there are no fiddly buckles and straps to adjust.
They are usually thin so can appear quite flimsy on large powerful breeds, but they are actually very strong. And, like all harnesses, they prevent damage to your dog’s neck area.
So if you’re looking for a way to keep your dog safe and under control, a tightening harness might be just the thing.
Step-Through Harness or One that Goes Over Your Dog’s Head?
A step-through harness only requires your dog to put their legs through one or more straps, then ties around their bodies. An over-the-head strap can be more difficult for certain dogs to put on as it can worry them to have something go over their head.
As previously mentioned, even dogs of the same breed can have different measurements. Simply buying a dog harness for a large dog may not be enough. Adjustable straps and features ensure that the harness will have a far better fit around your dog.
The right fit will provide more comfort and more control. To ensure that you have the perfect fit, you will need to measure your dog around the neck. You should then measure from one side of the widest part of their ribcage to the other.
This short video shows the correct way to measure your dog for a harness
Even with perfect measurements, having multiple adjustment points on the dog harness will ensure a proper fit and you also want it to be escape-proof.
What’s The Strongest Puppy Harness For Large Breeds?
Puppies are full of energy and larger breeds grow quickly so they require strong harnesses that help the owners control their dogs. A Julius-K9 dog harness is always a good idea for strong dogs that need durable and equally strong harnesses.
Are Julius K9 The Best Harnesses In The UK?
Julius-K9 are definitely among the top dog harnesses in the UK and internationally. They are well-known for their strong, reliable, and durable products commonly used on service dogs. They make harnesses for all types of dogs, big and small dogs alike, that can last a lifetime.
Last Words and Top Pick
Finding the best large breed dog harness can be a little trial and error. You want something strong, durable, comfortable, and easy to manoeuvre. Of course, harnesses are quite the investment; no one wants to spend a lot of money trying to find the perfect harness for their dog, either.
For the best results, take the time to measure your pet correctly and consider what you will both need from the harness. These harnesses cater for everything from regular activities, riding in a car, to the weather where you live, and how your dog’s body will change (in terms of fur and weight, for example).
But what’s our pick for the best harness for big dogs? Thanks to its clever design and great value, the Rabbitgoo dog harness has proven to be the best large dog harness. We think the non-slip buckles are perfect for bigger, more boisterous dogs. Give it a look as well as our other equipment for dog training which can help train your pup!